I love this time of year – but even I find it depressing when I wake up to pitch-black-gloominess. I’m already grieving for those bright summer mornings when sunshine streams through the curtains, gleefully wraps itself around my body, and lifts me from my bed.
I’ve never been good at waking up in the darker, winter months. As a child, my Mum and Dad’s solution to my sleepiness was to tickle my feet until I rose – with utter fury – from the duvet.
As an adult – thankfully – the remedies are a little more palatable. When the alarm goes off, I sleepwalk into the bathroom and wake myself up with a range of energising beauty products. My highlights are below…
1. Roger & Gallet Citron Refreshing Shower Gel, £11. Surrounding ourselves in zingy citrus notes instantly revives the senses – so I always swap my shower gel to something lighter and brighter when the clocks go back. This is one of my favourites, with energising notes of Citron, Grapefruit, Mint, Cardamom and Basil.
2. Crabtree & Evelyn Natural Lemongrass & Brown Sugar Scrub, £15.36. There are few things more invigorating than a thorough body exfoliation in the morning. This scrub goes one better, as it boasts the fresh, delicious scent of lemongrass. As an added bonus, the combination of Shea Butter and Almond Oil leaves skin feeling velvety soft, removing the need to moisturise my body afterwards.
3. Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser, £14.50. If I’m still feeling like a zombie, this product whips my senses into gear with a blast of refreshing foam. It cleanses skin beautifully and leaves my complexion feeling soft, supple, and smooth. I use it in the shower, which shaves precious seconds off the morning routine.
4. Vichy Purete Thermal Spa Water Spray, £7. When I’m out of the shower, dried off, and safely settled at my dressing table (with mug of coffee within easy reach), I spritz this mineral-rich toner over my complexion to rebalance skin. On really sleepy mornings (especially when the night before was a little too late), I stash the tin in my handbag to wake myself up throughout the day
5. Tisserand Energise Roller Ball, £4.64. Before I head out the door, I apply this cooling blend of essential oils to pulse points. I’m a big, big fan of the aromatherapy brand Tisserand – and this punchy scent instantly brings me back to the land of the living. One sniff and I’m ready to take on the morning commute.