Whenever I meet new people and tell them that I’m a Beauty Editor, I’m faced with a barrage of beauty-related questions… Certain themes come up time and time again – and one of them is the quest to get shiny, glossy hair…
To keep things simple, I have prepared a step-by-step guide on how to achieve mirror-gloss locks. So take note – and get ready to shine!
1. Firstly, do everything in your power to prevent damage – as the cuticle needs to be smooth and break-free to achieve that perfect shine. Always apply a heat protection spray before curling or straightening hair. I love Tigi S-Factor Flat Iron Spray, £8.58, which contains Vitamins A and E to nourish locks. It also contains UV Protection, which means hair is also protected from environmental damage.
2. Secondly, switch to a Shine Shampoo, such as Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Smooth Shine Shampoo, £6.54. It’s a professional quality product, so the price is pretty impressive – and it promises 24-hour smoothing performance to keep hair looking glossy throughout the day.
3. Next, treat your locks to a deep conditioning treatment. There are lots of hair masques that promise to boost shine, but my favourite is Sexy Hair Straight Sexy Hair Deep Conditioning Masque, £12.46. This wonder product contains no less than 14 conditioning ingredients to control frizz, improve manageability, fight humidity, and add softness.
4. Treat yourself to a hairbrush with natural bristles, which will prevent damage to the cuticle after washing. Mason Pearson Pure Bristle Sensitive SB3, £53.36 is extra gentle – and although it’s a hefty price to pay, it is a wise investment for years to come.
5. Before drying hair, smooth hair oil from root to tips… Hair Oils are my latest beauty obsession – and despite having fine hair, there is no hint of greasiness after drying. Sexy Hair Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Nourishing Styling Treatment, £12.82 contains Argan Oil to give hair a radiant shine.
6. To boost results, blow-dry hair straight – and tame flyaway hairs with a serum, such as Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Styling Treat Shine Serum, £7.71.
7. Finish with a generous spritz of Shine Spray. I love Schwarzkopf Professional Osis+ Sparkler, £8.12, as the results are instant and impressive. Make sure you hold the can at least 30cm away from your locks when spraying, which ensures an even application.
Go forth and shine!