We enjoyed putting together our Dior Pin-Up Inspiration post so much, that we just have to complete our vintage style with some lustrous set waves. Cast aside images of rollers and hair nets (but only if you really want to – we personally love Ena Sharples), and think of a more modern pin-up with loosely ‘set’ waves, short fringes and bold, shimmering hair colour.
1) The key to this look is volume. Start with an amplifying shampoo and conditioner duo to give you a great head start. We love the Fudge Body Builder Shampoo and Conditioner, a hard working pair that provide unbelievable bounce and body for hair that needs some extra oomph. Energising, strengthening and moisturising – just what your waves need!
2) Towel dry your hair after prepping your hair in the shower, and then create some substantial root life with the Joico Body Luxe Root Lift Volumising Foam £8.48, a supportive, volumising foam to keep your hair in good shape all day long. Apply directly to the roots of the hair to achieve enviable volume.
3) A good blow-dry is the quintessence of vintage styling, essentially ‘setting’ your style as rollers would do. Invest in a quality hairdryer like the Ego Professional Alter Ego Hair Dryer £96.97, a dryer that won’t blow all of the moisture out of your hair, but instead lock it in to keep hair strong and healthy.
4) If your hair is fine, you’ll need all the help you can get to achieve a great curl. Part your hair and then spritz on the super-volumising Philip Kingsley Maximiser, from £10.81 in sections to amplify the strands. If your hair is thicker, work some Schwarzkopf Professional Osis Curl Me Soft, £7.71 through the lengths of your hair to condition your locks and soften coarseness.
5) Whilst drying, take the Mason Pearson B3 Pure Bristle Handy Brush, £62.55 and grab each section from the underneath whilst drying from the top, shaping and working body into the hair as you go. The stiff pure bristles will distribute moisture along the hair shaft, and give an excellent shine and weight to the hair.
6) Once you’re happy with your retro waves, finish your style with a dose of Joico JoiShape Shaping & Finishing Spray, £7.05. A flexible yet strong hold that will keep your hard earned style in place beautifully.