When used properly hair oils can benefit the health and appearance of your hair tenfold, not to mention the protection they can also offer while heat-styling.
That said, a lot of us are intimidated by using oil on our hair, including me. I have very fine hair and a lot of it. I’ve experimented with hair oils in the past and failed miserably; however, over time I learnt how to use them and what works best for my fine hair type and it’s been revolutionary. Now I’m incorporating hair oil into my routine on a regular basis and my hair has never looked better.
So, if you’re keen to try one and want to find the right oil for your hair type, read on…
How do Hair Oils work?
It’s hard for the natural oil on your scalp to travel to the ends of your hair to moisturise them (especially if it’s long or curly). Hair oil will add a protective layer to this part of your hair because it’s full of fatty acids and antioxidants that will replenish the lipid layer on the scalp and penetrate into the strands to strengthen weak spots and prevent damage.
Why use Hair Oil?
• Oils act as a lubricant, so they’re great for detangling wet hair.
• They act as a sealant and help to smooth the cuticle down.
• Oils offer heat protection when styling your hair.
• If your hair looks dull and lacks shine oil can create a reflective surface for light to bounce off. Hello, shiny hair!
• They can be a quick-fix for flyaway hair (just run a tiny bit over your hair).
• Oils can’t reverse colour or heat damage but can encourage hair to look healthier.
• They contain fatty acids which help to replace the lipids in your hair and help to prevent it from splitting.
• They can be used when styling your hair – when mixed with a little hair gel it’s the perfect way to achieve a slick ponytail!
How to Apply Hair Oil?
The most important thing to remember when applying a hair oil is that you want to distribute it evenly.
- Section off your hair to a top section and a bottom section.
- Put a drop of oil into your hands, rub together and rake it through your hair, then use a comb to distribute it further. Thicker or coarser hair may need more drops. Unless you’re using an oil that is specifically meant for the scalp (some oils that promote hair growth will recommend you do this) make sure you avoid applying near the roots and instead concentrate on the length of hair three to four inches away from the scalp. Tip: the best technique is to start at the ends and work your way up.
If like me, you have very fine hair, instead of applying the oil prior to drying your hair or as a final step in your haircare routine to smooth the hair down you could try applying it to your hair 20 minutes before washing it. Simply apply in the same way and pop your hair in a towel. When you shampoo your hair, it will take away the residue oil and leave the goodness behind. This is how I’ve made oils work for me.
How often you use it is entirely up to you. I like to use one as a weekly treatment, but if using hair oil every day is what your hair loves – you do you! And, if you accidentally apply too much, fear not, dry shampoo will rectify the problem!
1. Best Oil for Fine Hair
• Heat protection.
• UV protection.
Texture: watery and very lightweight.
Scent: sweet and vanillery – a bit like cake!
A cult hair product for many years the Bumble and bumble hair oil (link) is the perfect choice for fine strands (it’s my favourite, too!). A blend of coconut, sweet almond, grape, safflower and Tiare flower oil helps to tame away flyaways, reduce frizz, moisturise and soften your locks as well as add shine and protect your hair from heat and sun damage. It won’t weigh your hair down like some hair oils because ist feather-light texture is non-greasy and lightweight – and as the name suggests – it looks invisible!
2. Best Oil for Dry and Damaged Hair
• Strengthens hair while encouraging healthy hair growth.
• Increases hair elasticity.
• Long-lasting scent.
• Free from parabens, sulphates and phthalates.
Scent: strong soapy masculine floral that lingers long after application
If you’re not kind to your hair and it shows, this is the choice for you. It contains Sachajuan’s Ocean Silk Technology that combines a cocktail of proteins and mineral extracts derived from sea algae and blends them with other active ingredients to nourish dry and damaged hair and restore softness to thick, coarse hair. But how does it do this? Amino and vitamin-rich sea buckthorn oil plus sunflower seed oil help to strengthen and infuse strands with fatty acids to replace lipids in the hair shaft. Because this is a slightly more intense treatment, I used it 20 minutes before washing my hair and boy, did my hair shine after using it! I’m putting it down to the 11% argan oil that penetrates deep into the follicle and rebuilds strength while adding a gorgeous glossy lustrous shine to your hair.
3. Best All-Rounder Hair Oil
• 98.1% natural origin ingredients.
• 30% precious plant oils.
• Vitamin E for antioxidant protection and moisture.
Texture: thin, lightweight, dry finish.
Scent: summer all year round with notes of orange blossom, magnolia and vanilla.
The multipurpose product that can do no wrong in my book, not only can you use the
Nuxe Oil on your hair (I’ll get into that part in a second), it’s also fantastic for your body and face. You could douse yourself in this stuff from head to toe and know that it’s nourishing every part of you!
For hair, it really comes into its own and what’s so great about it, is that it’s suitable for all hair types and concerns. I have fine hair and I have friends with curly hair, coarse hair and afro hair – and we all love using this on our hair. I love to spray a little of this into my hair and smooth over any flyaway strands as a finishing touch to my hair, but you could definitely spray this into the lengths prior to styling (another benefit, a spray makes this easy to apply but remember to be sparing!). Another way this nourishing and repairing oil can be used is as an intensive hair mask before washing, leave it in for 10 minutes and wash as normal. The blend of borage, sweet almond, hazelnut, st john’s wort, camellia and macadamia oils will leave your hair looking glossy and smelling divine!