Mascara – most of us can’t live without it. It’s one of those beauty items that makes all the difference and whether you’re going all-out with your eyes or going au naturel, a slick of the good stuff on your lashes can make you look bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, even if you were up past midnight scrolling Instagram!
That said, mascara needs to be applied correctly, otherwise, it can ruin your look in seconds; and it’s not as straightforward as it seems, perfecting the technique can take a little bit of work, but fear not, we’ve compiled our best application tricks and tips so you’ll never have to deal with a mascara mishap again. So if you’ve ever wondered how to apply mascara without smudging, clumping or making a mess, these are the steps you need to take. Are you ready for perfect lashes every day?
Step 1: Curl Your Lashes
This step will help to lift and lengthen your lashes and allow your mascara to adhere better to your eyelashes.
Take the eyelash curler as close to the base of your lashes as you possibly can without pinching your skin. Gentleness is key because applying too much force can cause crimping or pull lashes off. Gently clamp the lashes, hold for about 10 seconds then release and pulse a little moving your way up the eyelashes to create a natural curl.
Step 2: Use Eyelash Primer
An optional step but one that can make all the difference, especially if you have fine lashes. Only apply the product from the mid-shaft to the ends (avoiding the root of the lashes) and wait at least 30 seconds before moving on to mascara.
Step 3: Apply Mascara
• Remove the wand by twisting back and forth instead of pumping it up and down in the tube.
• Wipe off any excess on the lip of the tube.
• Look up to lift your lashes.
• Place the wand against the base of your lashes and wiggle it back and forth a little (this will stop them from being weighed down at the tips and will add lift and curl).
• Pull the wand out towards the tips of your lashes with a zig-zag motion and ensure you’re coating every single lash.
• You can skip this step altogether if you’re after a more natural look.
• Apply only to the roots and lift up and away as you get closer to the tips.
• Use the very tip of the wand for precision.
Step 4: Apply More Layers
If you’re looking to create thicker lashes don’t be afraid to add more layers, just make sure that you’re doing it quickly so the previous layer hasn’t had a chance to dry – otherwise, you’ll end up with clumpy brittle lashes. One to three coats is plenty.
Mascara Application Tips
• To avoid clumping and give the illusion of denser lashes wiggle the brush at the base of your lashes before extending it to the ends. The zig-zag motion helps to avoid any clumping.
• If you find that your mascara smudges throughout the day, gently brush your finger over the tips of your lashes around 20 seconds after having applied mascara, it will help it to stay put.
• Applying your mascara in just one direction is only doing half the job. For super thick lashes make sure you are coating both sides of your lashes by firstly looking down and coating the backs of your lashes then looking up and applying to the underneath of your lashes.
• Don’t neglect the inner and outer lashes (just applying mascara to your middle lashes can make your eyes look narrower). Bending your brush 45 degrees can help you to reach those tiny hairs at the corner of your eyes or buy a mascara with a brush that’s made to bend like the GIVENCHY Noir Interdit Mascara.
• Mascara should be changed every three months but if you’re finding that your mascara has got to the clumpy stage before that fix it by soaking the whole tube in a cup of hot water for a few minutes before you use it. The heat will banish the clumps and make your mascara more fluid and easier to apply.
• Create your own bespoke lash look by cocktailing your mascaras. Try starting with a lengthening mascara to give you longer lashes and follow with a curling mascara to lift and fan out your lashes.
• Turn your eyelash curler into a curling iron by heating it with your hairdryer for a few seconds before using it – it will help to seal your curl all day long.
• After you’ve finished with your mascara, don’t throw away the wand. Instead, give it a clean with some makeup brush remover and reuse it to separate lashes after applying mascara.
• Applying brown mascara to your lower lashes (a tip Kylie Jenner swears by!) can add dimension to your lash look and doesn’t look as harsh on the face.