Pucker up girls! Red lips are back in fashion.
I’m a big fan of wearing red lipstick. The hue can be sexy, sophisticated, and hugely confidence boosting – but it’s definitely not an easy look to pull off. Here are my rules for working the perfect pillar-box pout….
1) Everybody can wear red lipstick. The trick is to find the right shade to compliment your complexion. Fair complexions suit blue-based crimson (such as Clarins Rouge Prodige Lipstick in Mystic Plum, £16), olive skin tones suit the brightest hues (such as Dior Addict Lipcolor in Pop Red, £17.85) whilst dark complexions suit deep, burgundy shades (such as Clarins Joli Rouge Lipstick in Cedar Red, £15.50).
2) Red lipstick tends to bleed, so make a habit of lining your lips first. Rather than trying to match the shade of red, pick a liner that matches your skin tone. Trace the line of your lips, before filling in the entire lip area to act as a primer. I recommend Givenchy Rouge Interdit Lipliner, £13.67, in Lip Pink, Lip Beige, or Lip Coffee.
3) Red lipstick should never be applied in a hurry! Allow yourself time for a perfect application. If you are pressed for time, switch to a neutral shade and reserve red for tomorrow.
4) For best results, always apply the lipstick with a brush. It gives better control – and when you are applying such a vivid hue, mistakes will be obvious. Add Dior Backstage Lip Brush, £11.48, to your kit – the professional-quality brush is retractable, making it ideal for travel.
5) Whether the finish is matte or glossy is about personal preference. If you like your pout to have a shine, team with a gloss with subtle sparkle, such as Clarins Gloss Appeal in Crystal, £14. If you prefer the finish to be matte (the way I prefer it), set the colour by patting lips with translucent pressed powder, such as Clarins Shine Stopper Powder Compact, £23.50.
6) Finally, let your lips do the talking and keep the rest of your make-up subtle and pretty. For daywear, team with a natural base and slick of mascara – and when it comes to glamorous nights out, simply add a neutral eye shadow and sweep of soft kohl liner in dark brown or black.