It’s late March. The weather feels that little bit milder. I can almost smell spring in the air; that fabulously fresh green scent that signals the arrival of the new season. It may still seem miles off, but we’ll be strutting around in our sundresses and SPF before we know it. And I can’t wait!
When it comes to the warmer months, however, there is one thing that strikes fear into my heart – and that’s frizzy hair. As soon as the heat and humidity hots up, my hair decides to misbehave. I always have ambitious plans for wavy, surf-chick, summer locks – but when it comes down to it, I can rarely do anything but pull it back into a ponytail.
This year, I am determined that things will be different – so I have compiled an action-plan for frizz-free tresses. Want to join me? There are six steps…
1. SWAP SHAMPOO. Firstly, swap to a shampoo that promises to smooth and hydrate hair, leaving tresses sleek and shiny. Tigi S Factor Smoothing Shampoo, £7.78 is ideal – and as an added bonus, it leaves locks smelling amazing.
2. BLAST WITH COLD WATER. Another tip – if you can bear it – is to blast hair with cold water before stepping out the shower. It helps to seal the cuticle and keep it flat. Big respect if you manage this, I don’t know if I could cope…
3. APPLY LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER. Instead of conditioning hair in the shower, switch to a leave-in conditioner. This will infuse locks with long-lasting moisture and encourage the cuticle to stay flat, smooth, and shiny. After washing, towel dry hair to remove the majority of moisture, then spray into locks and comb through to evenly distribute. Tigi Bed Head Superstar Leave-In Conditioner, £6.05 is the perfect tool for the job.
4. DRY HAIR THOROUGHLY. Humidity is almost always to blame for frizz – so make sure you never leave the house (and enter that humidity) with wet hair. Locks need to be bone dry to stand a chance.
5. USE A HEAT PROTECTION SPRAY. It’s also worth protecting locks with a heat protection spray, which will lock in moisture and lock out humidity. Spritz generously over locks every morning before blow-drying. I love Sexy Hair Straight Smooth & Protect, £9.73.
6. GET HAIR TRIMMED REGULARLY. Finally, make a vow to get hair trimmed regularly (at least every two to three months) as it will ensure that split ends are kept under control. Hair will be slicker, shinier, and healthier.
Best of luck girls – I know I’m going to need it…