1) What are the core values of the Bioderma brand?
First of all, Bioderma has a unique approach that puts Biology at the service of dermatology. This approach comes from the strong belief of our founder, Jean Noel Thorel, pharmacist and biologist: “When skin suffers, beyond treating it, it is necessary to teach it how to live according to its natural biology”.
Our product’s mode of action is though based on the in-depth study of living matter and cells: by banning any toxic substance, by only keeping purely necessary active ingredient, by selecting whenever possible molecules already present in the skin, BIODERMA skincare restores the skin’s natural biological processes in order to naturally treat the causes of skin disorders. This biological mimetism process guarantees an absolute dermatological safety.
To sum up, our model is healthy skin, our concept is biological mimetism and our mission is dermatological safety.
2) What process of development does a product go through before it hits the shelves?
Biology and skin expertise lead our entire development.
Historically, product idea comes from our regular exchanges with dermatologists from different countries. We identify their needs when treating their patients, the evolution of their daily practice, always considering the new discoveries in dermatology.
All our innovations are thus inspired by the skin and we rely on the expertise of 3 research centers as well as on the endorsement of more than 30 000 dermatologists around the world. All our products are manufactured in France following the highest pharmaceutical standards. They respect the most demanding quality criterias, are hypoallergenic and formulated to be suitable to most sentitive skin by banning all toxic substances and irritants.
Lastly all our products are submitted to clinical studies led by dermatologists, allergologists and toxicologic experts to ensure their perfect dermatological safety.
3) How important is innovation in the development of Bioderma products?
Since 1977 and the creation of Node, the 1st non-detergent shampoo, Bioderma has continuously developed innovations inspired by the skin.
In 1991, Bioderma invented the 1st micellar cleansing water, that became a worldwide hit and that is sold once every 5 seconds in the world.
Through exclusive patents, Bioderma has also developed key innovations in main dermatological fields:
– Fluidactiv Patent in 2003 for acne-prone skin in the SEBIUM range that biologically limits the thickening of sebum and regulates its quality.
– Ecodefensine Patent in 2007 for atopic skins in the ATODERM range: 1st patent to stimulate the natural synthesis of anti-bacterial peptide.
– Bronz Complex in 2009 in our Photoderm range that biologically stimulates skin’s natural self-defenses under the sun and offers a very high protection in a very pleasurable texture.
– In 2012, Bioderma innovated again by launching Sebium Global, the 1st product to biologically recreate the sebum of a healthy skin to fight against polymorphous acne.
4) What would be your three ‘desert island’ Bioderma products, and why?
On a desert island, my 3 top picks would be:
– Sensibio Micellar Water, to cleanse, purify and refresh my skin at all time.
– A very high suncare protection such as Photoderm Max Cream 50+
– As I imagined I’d spend the whole day under the sun, our Photoderm After Sun to intensely moisturize and soothe my skin.
5) What is your most invaluable skincare tip?
The 3 keys to a beautiful healthy looking skin is to follow a simple daily routine: gentle cleansing, treatment and/or hydration according to the skin specificity and protection against the sun.
1) What constitutes sensitive skin?
Sensitive skin is usually quite fine in texture and often has an weakened skin barrier, with a tendency to be rosier than usual. Easily irritated by products and external factors, it’s also prone to redness and allergy, and may have fine broken veins across the cheeks and nose. There are varying levels of sensitivity. 50% of people in the UK claim to have sensitive skin*
Sensibio is our range dedicated to sensitive skin and contains a set of ingredients dedicated to control and relieve sensitivity.
– Raises the skin’s tolerance threshold
– Biologically acts on the factors of redness (Sensibio AR)
– Soothes instantly, Hydrates and protects
– Guarantees excellent tolerance
Sensitive skin needs extra-gentle products to keep it supple and healthy. Products must be hypo-allergenic products and free of common irritants, such as fragrance, that can cause dryness, itchiness or even an allergic reaction.
3) How important is constancy in a daily skincare routine? Does it pay to stick to the same products?
Consistency is KEY to obtain good results in a skincare routine. When using a new skincare product, it is very important to use it for at least for 28 days to see the results, as it’s the time necessary for the skin to review itself in average: indeed, the new skin cells migrate from the basal stage to the skin surface after a 28 days cycle.
4) Which suncare should those with sensitive skin be using?
It is very important to use a suncare specifically formulated for sensitive skin : offering a very high protection, fragrance and irritants free, and with soothing actives.
In the Bioderma range, for sensitive skin prone to redness, we recommend Photoderm AR, that highly protects while soothing the skin and preventing redness both on short and long terms thanks to our exclusive ROSACTIV patent.
5) Which ‘emergency’, quick fix products would you recommend for very bad skin days?
In case of a very bad skin day, we recommend the use of our Sensibio H20 Micellar Water to gently cleanse and tone dull skin, followed by the application of our Hydrabio Serum, that gives an instant moisturizing flash to dehydrated skin and though provides an extra glow without making the skin shiny. Follow with a touch of hypo-allergenic make up, such as a light bronzing powder on your cheeks, a hint of black mascara and fruity gloss and you might be good to go!
(*) TNS Usage panel 12w/e March 2009