L’Occitane (pronounced Lox-ee-tan) was founded in 1976 in Provence by Olivier Baussan, who began to distil flowers, herbs and plants (such as rosemary and lavender) to extract their oils to sell locally. He used these oils to create traditional soaps and creams, focusing on respecting nature and craftsmanship while bringing the traditions and beauty of Provence to the world.
Still to this day, L’Occitane uses natural, high-quality, traceable ingredients to create products that are a pampering, sensorial and eco-conscious delight – which is why I love them so much! Every product is an experience for your senses as they blend nourishing textures with tantalising aromas to transform the ordinary bathing ritual!
But what makes L’Occitane stand out? Their attention to detail and the authenticity and care they infuse into not only their products but into the world. They have many commitments to the planet which are at the core of what they do and who they are:
• Respecting Biodiversity: With such a focus on nature, it’s no surprise that L’Occitane is passionate about sustainability and conservation. They use sustainably-sourced natural ingredients that are harvested without harming the environment and biodiversity. They’re working to protect Provencal lavender from the effects of climate change and have contributed to protecting 150 plant varieties since 2008. They even helped bring almond trees back to Provence!
• Empowering Women: The only star ingredient that’s not grown in Provence is shea butter, grown in Burkina Faso in Africa to support and empower local female producers. Through their Empowering Women initiative, L’Occitane helps women gain independence, literacy skills and entrepreneurship abilities. They’ve helped over 30,000 women gain socio-economic freedom with their fairtrade supply of shea butter, making this nourishing ingredient even more special.
• Supporting Producers: Not only does L’Occitane care for the environment, but they care about the people in it, which is why they are committed to forming close and fair relations with all of their producers. They endeavour to support and empower the farmers they work with to improve the quality of life and build a sustainable future.
• Reducing Waste: Concerned about the impact of plastic pollution, L’Occitane uses 30% recycled plastic in their packaging, as well as offering a recycling service in many of their stores for tricky-to-recycle parts. They offer many of their best sellers’ eco-refill editions, which saved 124 tonnes of plastic in 2017. Plus, they aim to use 100% recycled plastic by 2025.
• Caring For Sight: Did you know? All of L’Occitane’s packaging contains braille to be inclusive to those who are visually impaired. They also have partnerships with NGOs and UNICEF to help prevent blindness in children through fundraising and ensure more children worldwide have access to eye tests and eye care.
• Celebrating Craftsmanship: L’Occitane has a real focus on authenticity and tradition, which is why they’re so dedicated to local craftsmanship. They work with local artisans and showcase their work both in stores and through their products.
So that’s who L’Occitane are, but what about their products? With so many amazing natural products, I’ve compiled some of the best-sellers that demonstrate who L’Occitane are and why they’re so well-loved and celebrated. Whether you’re sold on the sensoriality benefits of each product, or you’re a fan of their eco-conscious and world-respecting ethos, L’Occitane will forever be a pillar in the natural beauty world.
1. The Luxurious Body Wash
Now, this is a luxurious treat that epitomises why I love L’Occitane so much; the silky golden elixir is an indulgent body cleanser that’s as sensorial as it is effective; it’s no surprise; this is one of their star products!
The award-winning Almond Shower Oil releases the mouthwatering scent of sweet almonds and vanilla; trust me, it smells as delicious as rich marzipan and fills the bathroom to create a spa-like moment of self-care. The lavish oil erupts into a foamy mousse as you massage it in, effortlessly yet luxuriously cleansing the skin while exciting the senses. The oil is gentle enough for delicate skin types and is made with Provencal almond oil to help tone and refine your body from head-to-toe. As you step out of the shower, skin feels soft, supple and truly nourished with a satin sheen, while the cosy and comforting scent lingers on beautifully after cleansing.
My top tip is to pour a few capfuls of this into the bath for a true pamper night!
2. The Skin-Toning Body Oil
The Almond Supple Skin Oil is a firming, smoothing and beautifying body moisturiser that’s the perfect partner to the cleansing oil. With the same decadent aroma of sweet, nutty almonds and a lightweight yet nourishing oil texture, the body oil spray leaves skin looking firmer and tighter (thanks to an impressive 50% dose of almond oil). The oil absorbs quickly and effortlessly, inviting you to indulge in a moment of calm and relaxation each day as you nourish and massage it into your skin while enjoying the delicious scent (and let’s not forget about the silky-satin finish!)
3. The Nourishing Anti-Ageing Cream
If you want to tackle the signs of ageing in a luxurious manner, this is the one for you. The Immortelle Divine Cream is a rich, whipped face cream that melts into the skin like silk with a sweet fruity aroma that reminds me of fresh peach iced tea.
Not only is it delightful to use, but it’s also packed with hardworking natural ingredients – including Immortelle super extract, which is a natural alternative to retinol and boosts skin’s density and collagen creation for plump and renewed skin. It’s a flower that never fades away, even after being picked, so infuses skin with its age-defying abilities. If your complexion is looking a little lacklustre and you want to enhance its glow and vitality, then the Immortelle cream will infuse it with youth and radiance.
4. The Rich Hand Lotion
This creamy, repairing Shea Butter Hand Cream is a must-have companion to dry and cracked hands – it’s no wonder it’s a multi-award winner!
This is my all-time favourite hand lotion; it contains a hearty dollop of 20% shea butter – which is renowned for its conditioning and comforting abilities – along with a nourishing blend of honey, almond and coconut oil for added softness. The rich white cream absorbs effortlessly without leaving a greasy finish – which is ideal if you hate heavy, sticky textures – and leaves your hand feeling soft and comforted, with a creamy floral scent that lingers beautifully.
5. The Relaxing Bath
Taking a dip in a lavender foam-filled bath is what self-care dreams are made of, which is why I’m obsessed with the Lavande Foaming Bath. As you drizzle the rich gel under cascades of hot water, the bath erupts with foamy bubbles that burst with the stress-relieving aroma of lavender. As you sink beneath the bubbles, the skin is enveloped in silky-soft and sweet-smelling hydration that lingers long after you’ve stepped out of the tub. Light some candles, grab a glass of wine and pop a face mask on, and be prepared for your cosiest and most pampering evening yet!
6. The Woody Fragrance
L’Occitan Eau de Toilette is a sultry scent that expertly balances freshness with spice. I love the notes of lavender set against the spicy warmth of black pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon; it smells like burnt wood uplifted by aromatic greenery. It’s fresh yet warm, spicy yet herbal.
It’s marketed as an Eau de Toilette for men, but this is definitely a scent I would wear as I love the warm sensuality of this fragrance; it evokes imagery of being curled up cosy in a cabin deep within the woods surrounded by lavender with a roaring fire. Plus, I love fragrances with a bit of spice!
7. The Sleep-Better Room Spray
With modern life being so hectic and busy, it can often be difficult to switch off at the end of a stressful day – and that’s where the Relaxing Pillow Mist comes in. The spray is infused with soothing essential oils to create a calming and peaceful atmosphere to relieve the senses and help you drift off into a long and deep sleep. The sweet and aromatic notes of lavender, bergamot, mandarin, sweet orange and geranium blend together to promote relaxation and wellbeing, helping you unwind and put your mind to bed. I love spritzing this onto my pillow 15 minutes before bedtime and then tucking in and letting my mind rest while breathing in the soothing and aromatic lavender scent.
8. The Floral Bathing Gel
This sweet floral scented bathing gel has two uses in one – it can be used as a nourishing body wash or poured under warm water to create a floral-scented bubble bath! As a shower wash, the pink gel effortlessly cleanses the skin without drying it out, while as a bubble bath, it creates a creamy mousse with an abundance of bubbles. The sweet, powdery notes of cherry blossom instantly transport the senses to the rich and fruity cherry trees of a Provencal garden while lingering on the skin all day.
9. The Invigorating Hand Wash
Although we’re all washing our hands more now than ever, that doesn’t mean we want to compromise on keeping them soft and hydrated – and the Verbena Liquid Soap is the solution to dry and overworked hands!
L’Occitane has luxurious soap-making at its core, and they’ve stayed true to their heritage and focus on traditional craftsmanship with this zesty hand soap. The liquid is rich and enveloping, with a fresh, citrusy verbena scent that will perk up the senses. It’s ideal for even dry and sensitive hands as it’s free from detergent but is made with rich fatty vegetable oils and a dollop of shea butter for extra nourishment. Hands feel squeaky clean after use, while the lemony scent is a bonus!
10. The Nourishing Foot Cream
Our feet carry us every day, which can often mean they get dry, hard and cracked, but they can sometimes be overlooked when it comes to body care. Treat your feet to a pampering massage and fend off dryness and discomfort by lavishly enveloping them in this Intensive Foot Balm for even the driest feet.
This is one of the most nourishing foot creams I’ve ever used; it’s enriched with 25% shea butter to nourish hardworking soles intensely. It has a rich, thick white texture, but it still melts in effortlessly, without any stickiness or greasy feeling left behind.
How would I recommend to use it? Pop it on before bed with a cosy pair of socks and wake up to noticeably softer and smoother feet. It’s the ideal choice for anyone with parched feet in need of a touch of TLC. Plus, it has a creamy and comforting scent that adds to the whole experience.